The Preston Suite was named after a previous incarnation of this fine premises which was a post primary school.
The Preston House began life as The Assembly Rooms, a meeting place for civic business in the town. Following an investigation into the running of ‘the Preston School’ in Ballyroan, it was decided in 1896 that the school should be moved to the Assembly Rooms with a new board of management of which Viscount De Vesci was chairman. Mr A.E. M. Charleton of Galway Grammar School was appointed Head Master in 1895. Two months later the school opened to both boarders and day pupils. The School was an endowed school and was obliged to teach both Catholic and Church of Ireland children.
It served as an excellent educational establishment until it closed in September 1966.